A variety of illnesses such as asthma, influenza, various allergies and the common cold have one common and irritating symptom; cough. The action of coughing is aimed to make breathing easier by clearing the airways, but coughing persistently can be uncomfortable and tiring. Some suitable medication may be suggested by your pharmacist, but it is better for you to try out some home remedies, which need a few basic store-bought ingredients for suppressing a cough.
There are no major complications in experimenting with home remedies and they are quick and easy to do. The steps are listed as follows:
- Squeeze a lemon in order to obtain its juice. Take ¼ cup of water and add 1 teaspoon honey and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in it. This mixture should be consumed twice every day.
- Another home remedy for treating cough with lemon is to cut it into 4 pieces. Use salt and pepper for seasoning and suck the lemon when needed.
- A brew of peppermint tea should be prepared. Take a cup of hot water and infuse 1 teaspoon of peppermint leaves in it. Let the tea brew for five minutes. Drink this as often as you can until the cough is gone.
- Using a saline solution for dealing with a cough is also an option. It is easy to make this saline solution; all it needs is 1 part water, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt. A small mouthful of this solution should be used for gargling. Doing so can cause mucus secretions to dry out and relieve any inflammation in the throat, which contribute to coughing.
- Take a saucepan and place 1 quarter water and 1 ounce thyme leaves in it and allow it to boil. The pan should then be removed from the heat and the mixture should be given 10 minutes to infuse. Consume three or four cups of this mixture on a daily basis.
- Drink plenty of cold and fresh water. Take only small sips of water because taking gulps of it can lead to coughing. Inflammation and irritation of the throat can be eased in this way and soothe any burning sensation.
- Suck on throat soothers, cough drops or lozenges as they can be helpful in reducing coughs.
- A humidifier and vaporizer should be used in your home as they can help in breaking heavy mucus and also deal with dry cough.
- Stay away from dust and other chemical irritants that may aggravate your cough even more.
- Drink plenty of clear liquids like water and broth as they liquefy mucus and also soothe the tickling sensation you may be feeling in your throat.
A combination of a few of these remedies can provide good results if you are suffering from a cough. However, if your cough goes on for more than two to three days even with these remedies and you encounter some other symptoms such as difficulty in breathing, chest pain and fever, you should immediately consult a doctor.